This year, New Year’s Day falls on Friday, Jan. 1, 2021.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some things that are typically open might be closed and there will be no major public events due to physical distancing restrictions.
Because Hamilton is currently in lockdown, all services deemed “non-essential” will be closed.
Social gatherings are prohibited and residents are asked to celebrate the holidays with members of their own household exclusively. People who live alone and single-parent families are permitted to join one other household for the holidays.
- Some restaurants may be open for takeout and delivery, but call ahead to be sure
- Most convenience stores
- Some drug stores
- City of Hamilton administrative offices will be closed from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1 and will reopen on Jan. 4, 2021.
- Hamilton Farmer’s Market
- Hamilton Public Library
- Beer Store
- HSR will run on a Sunday schedule with service ending at 9 p.m.
- DARTS will be operating holiday service hours. All subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis, are cancelled for Jan. 1. If passengers need to travel on these days, they must make a reservation up to 5 days in advance to do so. ATS customer service will be closed.
- Post offices are closed and there is no delivery
Green Cart, Recycling and Garbage Collection
- There will be no green cart, blue box, bulk waste, leaf and yard waste or garbage pick-up on Friday, Dec. 25. Friday’s pick up will occur on Saturday, Dec. 26.
- There will be no green cart, blue box, bulk waste, leaf and yard waste or garbage pick-up on Friday, Jan. 1. Friday’s pick up will occur on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021.
- All waste must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Community Recycling Centers and Transfer Stations will close at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 24 and Thursday, Dec. 31. They will be closed on Friday, Dec. 25 and Friday, Jan. 1.
- To view your collection schedule, visit hamilton.ca/waste
Christmas tree collection: Natural Christmas trees will be picked up on your collection day during the weeks of January 4 and January 11. Remove all decorations before placing trees at the curb.