Most of us have probably baulked at seeking medical care at our city’s ERs based on our fear of the impending wait.
Now, Hamilton hospitals are trying to take the guessing game out of the waiting game by posting ER wait times.
Last week, St. Joseph’s Health Care and Hamilton Health Sciences announced that they had launched a website where patients can see what the wait is at local emergency departments and urgent care centres.
The wait times are updated every 15 minutes and will also be posted on screens in the hospitals’ waiting rooms.
“We’re pretty excited that we can offer this to patients,” said Dr. Greg Rutledge, Chief of Emergency Medicine, St. Joseph’s Healthcare in a notice posted on St. Joe’s site.
“Patients and families routinely ask how long it will take until they see a doctor. Now they’ll have a better sense of that with up to date information while they wait. It’s a good way to share that information to offer some comfort in a stressful time.”
Patients in need of emergency care, however, are urged to call 911.
In addition to wait times, the new website offers information in regards to the specific type of care offered at the locations.
Wait times for the following Emergency Departments are available:
- St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton’s Charlton Campus Emergency Department
- Hamilton Health Sciences’ Juravinski Hospital Emergency Department
- Hamilton Health Sciences’ Hamilton General Hospital Emergency Department
- Hamilton Health Sciences’ McMaster Children’s Emergency Department
- Hamilton Health Sciences’ West Lincoln Memorial Hospital Emergency Department
Wait times for the following Urgent Care Centres are available:
- St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton’s King Campus Urgent Care Centre
- Hamilton Health Sciences’ West End Clinic Urgent Care Centre