Hamilton eatery, Berkeley North, has been named one of the Top 100 restaurants in Canada in 2019.
OpenTable, a popular provider of online restaurant reservations announced on Monday (Dec. 9) the Top 100 Restaurants in Canada for 2019 according to OpenTable diners.
The list is a comprehensive look at the year’s most beloved dining spots selected from more than 500,000 verified diner reviews of over 3,000 restaurants across the country.
Berkeley North, whose food is ‘West Coast-inspired,’ has featured prominently on a number of OpenTable’s Top Restaurant lists over the past year, including vegetarian restaurants and best date-night restaurants.
- Grimsby distillery unveils two limited-edition whiskeys
- Pet parents can now have their fur baby’s needs delivered to their front door
- PICK A SIDE: Is candy corn the best or worst holiday candy
“The restaurants featured [among the Top 100 restaurants] have been recognized for their impeccable service, their ability to orchestrate one-of-a-kind dining experiences and for consistently offering unforgettable dishes,” OpenTable said in a press release accompanying the list.
Recent reviews of Berkeley North, which is located on King William, near James Street North, rave about the eatery’s impeccable service and fresh cuisine.
“Sixth time to this restaurant and have officially declared it my favourite restaurant in Hamilton,” wrote user BillA. “We don’t live in Hamilton but have gone out of our way to eat here.”
OpenTable user MicheleD writes: “Greeted by friendly staff and the awesome service continued until we left.
Cocktails to start were very Yummy! Food was Delicious and of the ultimate freshness and quality.”
In narrowing down the Top 100 restaurants in Canada for 2019, OpenTable also identified what the top dining trends for the year were. They include:
- Interest in plant-based diets continues to be on the rise globally, with reviews referencing plant-based foods having increased by 136 per cent since 2017
- Healthy substitutions are increasing in popularity across the globe. Cauliflower crust was mentioned 487 per cent more in diner reviews since 2017, along with the popular vegan ingredient jackfruit, a popular stand-in for dishes like pulled pork, being mentioned 148 per cent more in reviews since 2017.
- OpenTable users were eager to try new things, with 70 per cent of reservations coming from diners booking specific restaurants for the first time through OpenTable, compared to repeat diners
- North American cuisine was most popular for breakfast and lunch, but Italian reigned supreme as the most popular cuisine for dinner.
Photo courtesy Berkely North’s Facebook page.