Residents should be cautious tonight as temperatures are expected to drop considerably.
The Medical Officer of Health has issued a cold alert for Hamilton, effective overnight (February 7 to 8).
A cold alert is issued when current or anticipated weather conditions are at or below -15 degrees Celsius (or -20 degrees Celsius with wind chill). Environment Canada is forecasting -15 degrees Celsius tonight.
During a cold alert, residents are advised to stay indoors. Those who must be outside should:
- Dress in layers of clothing. Keep inner layers dry. Wet clothing increases the risk of cold injury.
- Protect your face, ears and hands with a scarf, hat, and gloves.
- To protect your feet, socks must be dry. Wool is a good material to keep your feet dry.
- Drink warm fluids, but avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Avoid strenuous exercise.