There’s one age group that’s facing more seat belt charges than any other demographic in the province, say Ontario Provincial Police.
And officers will be out in full force over the Easter long weekend.
“Last year ended tragically for 49 people who died after being involved in collisions and were not safely buckled in at the time,” said OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair.
Failure to wear or properly wear a seat belt has contributed to 639 deaths on OPP-patrolled roads in the last decade, he added.
- Province providing municipalities with $500 million in support
- COVID-19 claims another life in Oakville as 29 new cases confirmed across Halton today
- Sharp-eyed citizen steps in for disabled cameras in Oakville neighbourhood
“As a driver or passenger, it’s important to respect the lifesaving value of a seat belt and the proven fact that the best position to be in during a crash is securely fastened in your seat.”
OPP have laid 257,475 seat belt charges over the last 10 years, with 25-to-34-year-olds being issued 63,846 charges.
Drivers and passengers 35-to-44 come in second with 50,863 charges, while 45-to-54-year-olds are close behind with 50,488 charges.
“All motor vehicle drivers and passengers must wear a seatbelt. If you are the driver, you must also ensure that all passengers aged 16 or under wear a seatbelt or are properly secured in an appropriate child car seat,” said Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Marie-France Lalonde.
After a crash it’s” too late — take a few moments and buckle up before starting your vehicle. It could save a life.”
Seat belts worn correctly can reduce the chances of death and serious injuries in a collision by approximately 50 per cent, according to Transport Canada.
Air bags are designed to work with seat belts, not replace them. If you’re unbuckled, you could be thrown into an opening airbag and be injured or killed.
The campaign ends on April 2.
File photo courtesy of OPP