Connect with us

COVID blitz could be happening this weekend in Burlington

1.4

News

main image

News

COVID blitz could be happening this weekend in Burlington

A blitz on businesses could be taking place in Burlington this weekend to ensure compliance with current COVID-19 restrictions.

Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward confirmed the blitz on Jan. 27 in an interview with Khaled Iwamura from inhalton.com.

“There’s a big blitz coming that’s been handled and coordinated at the provincial level,” said Meed Ward, adding that the blitz in Halton Region could be taking place this weekend.

“Be forewarned. Don’t overcrowd,” she said, encouraging the public to stay home and place orders online to help minimize crowds.

Over the last month, the province has been cracking down on big box stores not abiding by the current COVID-19-related restrictions.

During a blitz, provincial offences officers will visit an expanded range of workplaces across Ontario to educate and ticket businesses that are not complying with health and safety requirements.

At a recent blitz that took place in January, approximately 50 ministry inspectors, as well as local bylaw and police officers, visited 240 big-box stores across the GTH–enforcement officers found 76 contraventions, while the majority, 69 per cent, were in compliance of the current restrictions.

Under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, corporations can be now be fined $1,000 for failing to comply with the orders, while individuals, including employees and patrons, can also be fined $750 for failing to comply.

To Top