Last month, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that starting at 12:01 am on Dec. 26, 2020, Halton Region would officially be going into lockdown along with the entire province.
When asked whether the lockdown could be extended, Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward told Khaled Iwamura from inhalton.com on Jan. 7 that it would depend on how things progressed in the surrounding areas.
In an interview with Iwamura on Jan. 27, Meed Ward confirmed that Burlington’s COVID-19 numbers and infection rates are coming down.
“We are doing awesome, so keep up the good work out there, everybody,” said Meed Ward.
“It’s really looking good, but we know we have to look at health indicators across the entire GTHA from a health and hospital sector perspective,” said Meed Ward, emphasizing the importance of not overwhelming hospitals.
“Until we kind of get a handle on the folks that need hospitalization,” said Meed Ward, “nobody’s probably coming out of lockdown,” added Meed Ward.
“Having said that, the numbers in the hot spots are coming down, too, so it’s all going in the right direction. Keep up the good work.”