Believe it or not, some of Brampton’s aging community centres are set to receive major upgrades. But first, the city is seeking public input on the plans.
We reported a few months ago that three old community centres might be due for renovations: Balmoral, Howden, and Chris Gibson. Now, the city has confirmed that these three centres are going to be renewed.
Here are the major highlights of the renewal strategy, according to the city:
- constructing a new Howden Community Centre
- expanding and renovating Balmoral Recreation Centre
- expanding Chris Gibson Recreation Centre, including twinning the existing ice rink
Here are some more possibilities for each community centre based on the latest budget reports:
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – October 21
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – October 21
- Police warning of new scam targeting business owners
Balmoral Recreation Centre
- $1 million investment
- Expansion from 17,000 sq. ft. to 30,000 sq. ft.
- New indoor gymnasium and meeting spaces
- New, large outdoor splash pad
- Transformed from single/limited use programming to multi-purpose use facility
Chris Gibson Recreation Centre
- $2 million investment
- 55,000 sq. ft. expansion — double current facility size
- Another arena ice pad
- New gymnasium
- Increased programming opportunities
Howden Recreation Centre
- $3 million investment
- Possibly buying more lands for street frontage and demolishing Howden entirely
- Constructing a new 40,000 sq. ft. facility
- Adding 17,000 sq. ft. in recreation space
- New triple gymnasium
- New fitness/studio space
- New multi-purpose rooms to increase programming
If you have opinions or just want to learn more about the plans, the city is hosting three public information sessions during the first week of April, and any and all Brampton residents are invited.
Here are the dates and times:
- Tuesday, April 3, 6:30-8:30 pm at Chris Gibson Recreation Centre (Auditorium)
- Wednesday, April 4, 6-8 pm at Chinguacousy Park Ski Chalet (Lower Lounge)
- Thursday, April 5, 6-8 pm at Howden Recreation Centre (Upstairs Lounge)
But this is only the beginning of upgrades to Brampton’s old recreation centres. The city says that preliminary plans are also in place to renew other recreation centres in Bramalea.
According to the city, the current renewal strategy was influenced by Brampton residents, community groups, and businesses during the development of the Parks and Recreation Master Plan.
“The strategy also takes into account Brampton’s recently completed Master Plans in the areas of Finance and Asset Management, to ensure the City is providing careful stewardship of taxpayer funds and following best practices in the management of our facilities,” said the city in a recent statement.
What do you think of the plans?
Photo courtesy of Google Maps