The City of Brampton waived the interest and late fees on tax payments for the five-month period of March 18 to August 19, 2020 in response to COVID-19. This decision will be ratified at a future council meeting.
Under section 3.8 of the City’s Emergency Management Plan during an emergency, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, authority has been provided to the City to take such actions “as may be required to protect life, property, the environment, and the economy within the boundaries of the City of Brampton.”
Patrick Brown the Mayor of Brampton says “Brampton Council understands the real financial pain and struggle our residents are going to be facing during this pandemic.
This is why we are giving every resident who wishes the opportunity to defer property taxes with no penalty for five months. We work for you and we heard loud and clear this was something the community wanted during this period of economic adversity.” .
- Peel Police are investigating attempted carjacking incident in Brampton
- All COVID-19 outbreaks declared at Brampton long-term care facilities from Jan 11 to 17
- New COVID-19 case reported at Fortinos in Brampton
This and the announcement regarding the changes to Brampton Transit service are consistent with the City’s continued priority during the COVID-19 emergency to ensure the safety and well-being of our community.
Residents and businesses should note the following:
- Neither interest nor late fees will be charged for the second instalment of taxes, which was due on March 18, or for the third instalment, which is due on April 22.
- Those who sent postdated cheques to the City for their April tax instalment and would like to cancel the payment may do so by calling 311 by April 15.
- April instalments for April 1, 15 and 22 will be withdrawn for those who have pre-authorized tax payments through their bank. Those who have pre-authorized tax payments for May can cancel their instalment by calling 311. In order to resume the pre-authorized payment at a later date, the payment holder will need to re-apply to the City.
- Tax payments will continue to be accepted and processed by the City. View a full list of payment options here.
For any inquiries, use this form.